Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 1 and 2...This may be a long one...

I am gonna get caught up...only a day behind...but does it really count when I technically did start recording yesterday...)

Prior to starting, after reading several different blogs and and following different boards about half marathons, I decided to use Olympian Jeff Galloway's training program. Craig had seen him speak at a conference he attended a couple of years ago, and thought very highly of him. 
Anyways...Disney sponsors his training programs so I decided to give it a try for my first 10 miler at Disney. 
(Want more?? Here is the link to his program... runDisney Training.
So this program involved 1 long run weekly and 2 maintenance runs.Running 3Xs a week...I can totally do that. Jeff Galloway has specific programs and timelines for each runDisney race...all very similar, but one thing I like about it is that I can download and load the program into my phone calendar...so there is very little thought to working out. Just get out there and do it, right?

DAY ONE:
Got home from work and feeling slightly unmotivated...but I knew it was now or never...and I chose NOW! Of course when I walked through the door, Craig reminded me of the gym...ugh! Oh well!
Rushed to get ready...Made it to spin class with a minute to spare. 
Now...let me back up...I have always been one who NEVER...I mean NEVER!!! want to do classes at the gym...much less go to the gym to work out...I didn't even put much effort before our wedding! And doing a work-out class...FORGET IT! I always felt that being a "not skinny" gym person that I would be ridiculed or made to feel that I didn't belong...Boy was I wrong!! So if you ever feel this way, just remember that nothing matters more than what you are thinking of yourself...Everyone and anyone goes to a gym to work out, and you deserve to be there as much as they do. Took me a long time to believe this...and it is a work in progress. I still will only run on the treadmill in the dark in the cardio theater room...but I still look around a lot...but not as much as better. I am there for me and not to impress anyone else!!!
Back to spin class...best one yet!! (This isn't my first one BTW) The instructor played all PitBull songs...how much more motivating is that?? However, rather than concentrating on the class, I kept wandering to Zumba class and all the wacky dance moves we do to those PitBull songs!! (haha dork right? I know!) So about half way through, while out of the saddle simulating an uphill ride, my foot started to give out...Are you kidding me?? I was not wearing my cross trainers...I was in my shoes I use for Zumba...yup, that was my mistake! Oh well! Will never do that again! Remember to only stick with cross trainers...check!! 
Well...I made it through spin class and totally worked through the ridiculous pain! I think it was more of doing it because I wanted to prove myself that I can even overcome my stupid mistakes. Never said I was an expert...this is a total learning process! And boy does it hurt when I make a mistake. HA! 

DAY TWO: 
Moving on...like I said I think yesterday, I am focusing on my training...much more than detailing my days...but I have to say this...I got out of my car this morning at work...and as I walked toward the building all I could think of was, "WOW! This is gonna be perfect weather to run in!" I also emailed Craig and told him it was a "Drop the Top" kind of day! 
And I did just that...
I walked out of work, cleaned out the back seat (I didn't want to clutter the highways of DC with my Starbucks glasses and Nationals hats and jackets...hehe), and I dropped the top! It was so beautiful out!

Well...when I got home, Craig told me that he got a gift for me.I check in his backpack and there was this....
Can you hear the magic??? I am so stinkin' excited!! I used to think that I would never get excited for a new pair of running shoes...and I definitely never thought I would get this excited for a watch for running!! I have gone mad!! But we are all a little mad here... (catch the Disney reference??) With this watch, I love the fact that I can set up my running intervals!
The major part of these Jeff Galloway training that I had mentioned earlier is interval running based on the pace you would like to keep.
Problem...new watch..needs to charge...ugh! OK...so I guess I will have to play on Thursday.
So...with not much drive, I headed out onto the trail with Craig to do my first official run of week one training. OMG! It was so difficult trying to do the intervals without a proper time keeper...so I did best with what I had...and I set my iphone app to track and started my run.
Probably about halfway through, I started getting this weird pain in my rear end. I know it sounds funny and I couldn't help myself from laughing out laugh because every time my foot would hit the trail and I felt my bubble butt jiggle, it would hurt. It was completely comical...and this is what probably got me through it. I am starting to get pretty bored with the same songs on my iphone...so I will need to work on my playlist.
Well, I arrived back home and here is what I ended up with...
Not my best time...but I think I was more worried about not really keeping the 2/1 interval. I did the best, and even though I knew I could give more, I am happy about completing today's workout.

And because I said I would running with my camera, I forgot to take my pic at the beginning of my run, but here is my trail pic about a quarter mile from home...
Well..not bad for my first 2 days... Came home and watched Extreme Weight Loss on ABC with Craig. I think this show is way better than Biggest Loser. If you have never seen it, it is a must see show! And I think I am even more motivated than before. Plus I found out that the Tower of Terror 10 Miler that we are doing in October is SOLD OUT! I can't believe that I am apart of a sold out event! I'm stoked!

I hope you made it through my first official post detailing my work out...And if nothing, maybe I have inspired you just a little bit more.
Until next.......have a magical day!
Jessica




1 comment:

  1. what a magical inspiration! :) The woman from Extreme Weight Loss is from Rochester NY--I saw the story on the local news this morning. Hooray for you!!! love the new watch...hope you get to use it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete