Monday, March 17, 2014

Today... I Celebrated...

Yup..today is St. Patrick's Day, but today I did not celebrate being Irish and drinking green beer.
Today I didn't celebrate another year older or our next wedding anniversary...
Today I celebrated life! Today I celebrated strength... Happiness... A journey... A struggle... A prolongment to my life...
Today I celebrated my one year run-niversary!!

Two years ago, after my husband had completed his next half marathon and watching my friends cross the finish line at the same Rock N Roll USA Half, on our ride home on the metro, I told my husband that I wanted run a half marathon...but of course my first half would have to a Disney race of-course.

That was 2012...
 >>>>>Fast forward March 17, 2013 >>>>
One year later, I started my journey with my first race...St. Patrick's Day 5K Fun Run & Walk. (Hey...it said "fun," so how bad could it be?) Zero...I mean ZERO...training was put into the race. Sure, I had walked a couple of miles here and there on the treadmill but nothing like actual running. But like I said... the name of the race had "fun" in it!
We arrived at 7:30 at East Potomac Park, picked up our bibs, and waiting for the start. It was definitely intimidating, waiting around, looking at the tall, much thinner people around me. My husband and I started, and he really tried to get me motivated to run, measuring it out by light poles and other landmarks. By the end, I definitely wasn't first...but I wasn't last either!! The "fun" run/walk wasn't officially timed but I think we ended up finishing in 56 minutes. I even got a little gold medal on a green ribbon to commemorate my first ever 5K run....still smiling at the end. 


>>>> Fast forward again to March 17, 2014 >>>>
I just completed my 4th half marathon at the Rock 'n' Roll USA Half and I broke my personal best time by almost 5 minutes. In this year, I haven't become the fastest runner out there, but the fact that I am out there doing it and improving each time still amazing me today.


 Today I celebrate 4 half marathons, 1 10 Miler, 3 10Ks, and 2 5Ks (yes including my "fun" run/walk)
I have become a stronger person. I have lost 52 pounds to date (and still going) . I have meet a great group of friends who understand what I am going through and are encouraging every step of the way (POSSE OR DIE!!). I have a closer relationship with my husband, 'cause we are now going for runs and to the gym together. I have become more helpful to those who never though they could do it. I have become a motivator to encourage those along their journey.
 
March 17, 2013
March 15, 2014
Today I celebrate the new person who has always been there on the inside but didn't know how to come out and achieve her dreams.
Today I celebrated an anniversary....
Today, I celebrated the anniversary of ME!





 

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!!! You motivated me to run a half marathon! You look great and your outlook and ambition are amazing! Great beginning - keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such an amazing person who is also inspiring me. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete